I love a good rice krispy treat. It’s such a classic treat that is so easy to make. These Valentine’s Day Rice Krispy Treats are just like the old classic treats that you remember, but are shaped into hearts, dipped in chocolate and finished with festive Valentine’s Day sprinkles. Essentially, they’re just rice krispy treats jacked up a notch! Give them a try today, as Valentine’s Day is right around the corner on February 14.
These would make the perfect treat for the kids, a fantastic festive addition to any classroom, or even a fun after-dinner treat on Valentine’s Day. They start with a traditional batch of Rice Krispy Treats, that are then shaped into hearts with a cookie cutter, dipped into rich milk chocolate and finished with a sprinkle of Valentine’s Day sprinkles. You could even turn these into Valentine’s Day Rice Krispy Treats Pops, by sticking them onto a skewer or popsicle stick for totally kid-friendly snack.
- 3 T butter or margarine (*Optional: An additional 1 T butter for greased pans)
- 1 bag (10 oz.) regular marshmallows
- 6 cups of crisp rice cereal
- 6 oz. milk chocolate chips
- Valentine’s sprinkles
- Grease an 11×17 pan with cooking spray or butter.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add in the bag of marshmallows and stir consistently until melted and free of marshmallow lumps.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the rice krispies.
- Press the mixture firmly into your greased pan, and let it cool completely.
- Using a 3-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, press the cutter into the rice krispy treats, removing the hearts to a plate. Cut out the shapes as close together as possible, in order to get the maximum about of heart shapes. (Now is your chance to save the scraps for snacking later in the day!)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave the chocolate chips in 30-second intervals until melted, and smooth.
- Holding one end of the krispy treat, carefully dip the other end unto the chocolate and then let the excess drip off. Lay the heart on a piece of wax paper to cool. Before the chocolate is set, sprinkle with your Valentine’s Day sprinkles for a festive touch.
- I dipped some hearts into the chocolate on the right half of the heart, and some on the left. I also drizzled some of the hearts with chocolate using a spoon, and then sprinkled the Valentine’s Day sprinkles on there once the drizzle was complete.
- Let the hearts cool (make sure chocolate is set up) before serving.