A favorite treat for nearly a century, turtle candies traditionally combine crisp pecans with smooth caramel and rich chocolate. In other words, they’re delicious and, fortuitously, extremely easy to make.
2 cups melting chocolate
24 soft caramels
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place baking mat or parchment paper on a baking sheet then place the pecans next to each other in pairs. Flatten a piece of caramel and place that on top of the pecans.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven for 4 minutes, then check them. They may need an additional minute longer, but it’s best to keep an eye on them so that they don’t burn. When they’re done, remove them and allow the caramel to cool to room temperature.
- In the microwave, melt the chocolate and stir every 15 seconds. On a sheet of parchment paper, pipe the melted chocolate into circles just slightly larger than the caramel-pecan clusters. Place pecan clusters onto the chocolate circles.
- Drizzle remaining chocolate on the top of each candy and sprinkle with sea salt. Allow to completely harden.
About the Author:
Katie Straw is the Gourmet Scribe at GourmetGiftBaskets.com, one of the top suppliers of gift baskets in the nation, and currently resides in Manchester, New Hampshire.