It’s your lucky day because I’m sharing a cherished family recipe. My dear Aunt Betty, who was technically my Great Aunt since she’s my grandmother’s sister, was such a whiz in the kitchen. I took many “lessons” from her growing up including a class on homemade barbecue sauce, which we served with chicken drumsticks. I know she would be proud to share this with you, as she believed, just as I do, that homemade is always better.
This bbq sauce recipe can be adapted to your taste buds, too. If you’d like it spicier, add more hot sauce or red pepper flakes. Don’t want any spice? Just omit those altogether. Hope you enjoy this barbecue sauce all summer long!
Homemade Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4-6 dashes of hot sauce or pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- ¼ cup water
- In a medium sized saucepan, mix together all ingredients.
- Without letting the mixture boil, cook until it condenses to a nice thick sauce – about 5-10 minutes.
- Store in the fridge where it will last for quite a while in an airtight container or bottle.